Thursday, May 27, 2010

"The Carter"

So, I'm watching the documentary made about Lil Wayne called "The Carter." I'm not really sure what to think of the man to tell everyone the truth. I fully admit to being a big fan of his music. He's got a strange sounding voice and comes up with lyrics (rhymes...whatever you want to call them) that nobody else would come up with. But at the same time I don't know how to feel about a man who's constantly seen with a blunt to his lips or a cup of "syrup" in his hand...basically indicating to the world that he is high in some shape or form all day, everyday.

Even more difficult for me to relate to is his notion of not writing a thing down. He refuses...says he doesn't want to leave any evidence, doesn't want to end up like Kurt (Cobain) with his journals and notebooks getting sold. But for me, leaving evidence is the whole point of writing, is the whole point of being an artist. Wayne seems to think that his music will last, that he doesn't need a written hard copy of what he's done. This troubles me for some reason and I can't get past it. Perhaps it's the writer in me that fights this idea. Or the reader. Or the aspiring professor, but something about this anti-writing notion troubles me.

One could easily mistake Wayne's anti-writing stance as an anti-intellectual stance. I doubt this is what it is, considering the documentarians make a repeatedly big point that Lil Wayne was an honor roll student in school, but just got in trouble for bringing weapons and selling drugs at school. This is an interesting paradoxical combination. It established Lil Wayne as a sort of "intellectual" but at the same time establishes the necessary "street cred" to be a rap star. It seems like the documentarians are trying to show Lil Wayne almost as a modern day Renaissance man, a jack of all trades, when this in fact is not the case. Talented? Yes. Driven? Yes. Intriguing? Yes. But I do not seem him as the scholar or intellectual they would have us believe he is.

I don't know. Maybe I'm being to harsh or reading too much into small moments of the film. Anyone else who is a Lil Wayne fan (or not), or has seen this film...what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment